Saturday, June 14, 2008

Another weekend

Nothing really new to write today, but Marcie is at her WW meeting and I have some time to kill before I meet her for coffee. I will probably try the Red Line Wheat tomorrow since that will have been one week in the bottle and the Cubs are on TV tomorrow.

This past week has been an interesting one here in Lincoln and Nebraska in general. Severe thunderstorms and tornadoes ran across the state, taking the lives of 4 boy scouts at a camp in western Iowa. The sirens went off in Lincoln on Wednesday night but there was no confirmed tornado on the ground. The north side of Lincoln received reports of 5-6 inches of rain in a 24 hour period, and our neighbors had 3-4 inches of water in their basement. Their carpet was floating. I took a beer over for them on Thursday since I was pretty sure they needed it. Our sump pumps worked great, and we are dry. Thank GOD!!

In the sports news, Cubs left fielder Alfonso Soriano is on the DL for 6 weeks after being hit in the hand while batting in the 2nd inning Wednesday night. One broken bone, but the Cubs will miss hit bat and base speed while he recovers. The other guys will have to step up, and I hope they can keep up to get him back fo the run at the end of the season.

In beer news, Anheuser Busch may be purchased by a European company. Will their beer still suck?? Probably. For those of you who think Budweiser is an American icon, where do you think that the orginal proprietors came from?

I was searching for ideas for the next home brew, but I don't want to have to take out a second mortgage for the hops. I found an ESB recipe that called for 6 separate additions of hops. Figuring $4/oz, it came to $16 for just the hops. Keep on looking. I have a 4 day weekend for the July 4th holiday, so I might brew then.

No comments: