Monday, August 11, 2008

Where the heck did summer go??

Not that my title of this entry is a bad thing. With the arrival of August, we remember that college football is just around the corner. I noticed on the digital TV guide a channel labeled Husker PPV test. I actually turned there to see what they were showing on there, just a promo for now, but Lincoln is definetely ready for some football.

On the beer front, the Kolsch is officially ready to drink, and even though I like our wheat beer better, I will not be throwing this batch out. There is a fair amount of sediment in the bottom of every bottle, which may have benefitted from a secondary fermentation. It does taste decent and fits the bill for a nice refreshing summer beer, but with the arrival of Labor Day and college football season the brewing mind shifts to something a bit darker with some more hop character.

So next on the brewing schedule is a brown ale. I know, not something that exactly slaps you across the face with hoppy bitterness. But lets be honest, with the hops shortage and gas where it is pricewise, I will save the hoppy beers for an imperial stout around Christmas and another IPA when cold February arrives, just to get me through the last part of winter. I found the recipe for a clone of Goose Island Nut Brown Ale thanks to Google and will post it and how I brewed it when I fianlly decide it myself. Need to do more research. Better wrap this up, as dinner needs to be prepared and we have baseball tickets tonight.

No comments: