Thursday, August 28, 2008

I love this time of the year....

I remember back especially when I was in high school and college, this was about my favorite time of the year. Yes I was and still am a self proclaimed nerd I I enjoyed that summer vaction was ending and it was time to go back to school or college. I think it's probably because I have always been a planning type of guy, and the routine of the non-summer months brings back a regular schedule. But now that I am no longer in school, with the full time job and mortgage and bills, I look forward to this time of the year for the not so hot days, cool evenings, and of course COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON AND THE MLB PLAYOFFS!!!!

Okay, I know there is about a month left in the MLB season, but over the course of a 162 game regular season which I have been paying the utmost attention to, now is the time when every game matters that much more, especially when your team is in a pennant race. Right now my Cubs are trailing the Phillies in game one of a 4 game series, but should the game not end in my teams favor, I know that they will try to go out and get it done tomorrow.

On to the other topic, college football. The energy in Lincoln revolves around former defensive coordinator coming back as the head coach of our beloved team. The last time Bo Pelini walked the sidelines in Husker red, he was guiding our team to an Alamo Bowl victory against the Michgan Wolverines. As he teams left the field in San Antonio the Big Red faithful were calling for Bo, in an interim head coach role, to have the interim tag removed and carry on the Big Red tradition. Instead, the AD went out and got some guy with an NFL pedigree, to help keep the program from "gravitating toward mediocrity." If you follow Husker football, you know how all that turned out.

On the brewing front, since the first time around went so well, and the weather will be nice, and we have a Monday where we don't have to work, what would be a better way to spend the day than brewing the vanilla porter? Purchased the extract kit at Kirk's today, along with a few other essentials. Only one change this time, as we are adding 1/2 pound of cara-pils to the grain bag to hopefully let this one have a bit more body than the previous batch. We will try it out and hopefully it will be a drinkable product. We will also be bottling the brown ale that has been in secondary for a week so that there is a good stash of ales for our fall drinking pleasure.

No comments: